Forecast can also be sent to the captain through SSB (e.g. Sailmail) or Satphones in text-only format. This system works well and is a cost-effective way to communicate worldwide. However, it is not adequate if the client requires weather charts by attached file and text with special characters which can only be sent with normal email messages.
- Receive text messages continuously from Navimeteo forecasters during the ocean crossing
- It requires and SSB or a satellite phone which work with the same protocols
- Reliable system with a worldwide coverage
- Cost-effective even to receive grib files
- Not suitable for receiving/sending images